Monday, June 2, 2008

Motivation

I have not been running since my race because of injuries and started back today with a short run that went alright. During my run today I found my self lacking the motivation to train and run for this next half marathon.

I understand that everyone goes through a time when they don't want to get up and run. I know that it has been a while since I have been running and getting back into it could be a problem. But things are a bit different then there where when I started to train for the last marathon.

With in the last month I have started school full time and I spend most of my free time working on that. With that along with other things I find my self pressed for time these days. Lately my normal day consists of this.

6:15 to 6:30 Wake up/eat something - don't like working out on an empty stomach
6:45 to 7:30 Gym
7:30 to 8:45 Real breakfast/make lunch/get ready for work
8:45 Bike to work - with $4 gas these days, I rather not drive
9:00 to about 5:30 Work - some days even later
5:30 to 7:00 Bike home/eat dinner
7:00 to about 11:00 Church Activities/Studying

That is a pretty normal day for me but every now and then things are shaken up a bit. With my evenings I am either doing church things, school or family. If I do not have a scheduled activity, its a school night (just as if I had a class to be at and I have a planned lesson to get done).

What I am asking myself right now, is do I want to commit the time to preparing to run a half marathon at this point? How high is it on my priority list?

What do you think, should I make the time? Should I try to cut something back a bit or try to squeeze it in?

I am not sure quit yet on this. Please let me know your input.

2 comments:

Steve said...

I think that you need to decide how important this is in your life. Start asking the right questions. I don't know what those are for you, but they could be "why is the marathon important to me?" "How will i feel if I don't go" "am I just being lazy or are there things that I would rather spend my time and energy doing?"

I think once you ask and then answer the right questions, you will find what you are looking for.

Oh... and if it helps you at all, I'm dog tired these days. i have so many goals but it seems I only accomplish half of them. I guess achieving your goals really takes some dedication.

Jacob said...

That is a crazy schedule. My only question is: When do you fit in all the dates with the ladies?